Monday, October 22, 2012

Crazy Couple of Weeks

I think the title says it all. Corbin started going to daycare full time about a month ago. After about a week he got a cold. His first cold EVER I should add. It started as a runny nose and sneezing and a cough. The hubs and I both had it as well. After about a week it didn't seem to be getting any better so the little man and I went to the walk in clinic.

They said that he had an ear infection and a soar throat and that I had a sinus infection and a throat infection. We were both put onto amoxicillin for 10 days.

So we went along our merry way taking our medication 3 times a day but didn't seem to be getting any better. On day 7 I decided that after work we would go back to the Dr and see if there was something else going on because things were not getting better and actually seemed to be getting worse.

Well fast forward to 4pm that day I get a call from daycare that Corbin woke up from his nap with a fever and the chills and to come get him. By the time we got to the daycare his fever was 102*. We headed straight over the the Emergency room. He was checked in right away as his fever was now up to 104.7*.

I can't even begin to tell you how scary it is to see your baby that sick, to the point that he was just laying on the hospital bed shaking. All the time looking up at me as if to say why aren't you making me feel better.

So they ran a bunch of tests and took a chest x-ray, turns out that our colds had turned into pneumonia. So they gave the little man some Tylenol for the fever and a new prescription for the pneumonia and we were on our way home. We stopped at the walk in clinic on the way home and got some stronger medication for me and the hubby too.

The next day when Corbin got up from his nap he had a bit of a rash starting to show on his chest and his shoulders. So I called the nurses line and they said to stop the medication and to take him back to the Dr in the morning. Well later that night his rash got way way worse and his fever started to go up again. We took him back to the ER. Where they said it was a reaction to the medication so they gave up a new prescription and some tylenol and sent us home saying the rash wouldn't get any worse now that the medication stopped.

Well over night it got way way way worse it was now covering about 90% of his body, his fever was up again and he refused to take the new medication. So back to the hospital we go. This time they tell us to just keep trying to get him to take the medication and if he gets worse or starts vomiting to go to a bigger hospital. (This was at Mission Hospital). I asked if we could give him benadryl or something for the rash they say don't worry about it it will go away on it's own.

So we take him home get him settled for a nap when he gets up his fever was still up even after tylenol and advil. So we manage to get 3/4 of a dose of the medication in him but no food he hasn't been eating much for about a week now. About a half hour later he starts puking this time we make the mad dash 1.5hr to BC Children's hospital. They Dr's there have never seen a rash like his. We managed to get Tylenol and Benadryl into him to get his fever down. Then decide to give him a one shot antibiotic because he now also has a double ear infection and throat infection that is so bad he can barely swallow. Somehow the last 4 Dr's we saw missed this.

Luckily the antibiotic shot they gave him worked and within 72hrs his rash was gone , he was eating and was back to his super happy self. So glad that we have a place like Children's hospital to go when needed.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! That's horrible! I'm so glad he's feeling better.